Product Handling and Ageing
- Stockyard beef can be provided chilled and frozen (if country protocol demands it). Chilled beef needs to be kept in a chilled facility @ -2c - +2c at all times.
- Stockyard beef is vacuum packaged, which maintains freshness and assists in the natural ageing process, where connective tissue continues to breakdown after processing and enhances tenderness.
- Scientific studies recommend meat be aged in the bag for minimum 21 days prior to consumption to allow for tenderness and flavour throughout the meat. As Stockyard product is from long grain fed cattle, if necessary many items can be consumed with exceptional eating quality prior to this time (eg. Tenderloin, cube roll).
- All Stockyard beef products are reinspected before shipment to check all pieces of meat for any damage to the vacuum bag.
- Although rare, vacuum bag integrity is sometimes breached in bone in product, where the bag may be pierced with small holes allowing the meat to spoil.