- 1kg Beef PE Brisket
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 500g Pomme Puree
- You'll need an ovenproof, thick-bottomed pot with a cover enough to hold the brisket pot roast with a little room for the onions.
- Pat the brisket dry and place it into the pot, and place it on medium high heat. Cook for 5-8 minutes, lightly sizzling, until nicely browned.
- Turn the Brisket over and cook to brown the other side.
- When the Brisket has browned, remove it from the pot and set aside.
- There should be a couple tablespoons of fat rendered in the pot.
- Add the chopped onions and increase the heat to high.
- Sprinkle a little salt on the onions.
- Sauté until the onions are lightly browned, 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook 1-2 more minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Use kitchen twine to tie together the bay leaves, rosemary and thyme.
- Move the onions and garlic to the sides of the pot and nestle the flap inside. Add the beef stock and the tied-up herbs.
- Bring the stock to a boil.
- Cover the pot, place the pot in the 170°F oven and cook for approx 3 hours.
- Carefully flip the Brisket every hour so it cooks evenly.
- Cook till the Brisket is basically falling-apart tender.
- When the Brisket is falling-apart tender, remove the beef into a dish.
- Pull out and discard the herbs.
- Using forks pull beef apart
- Blend the sauce in a blender, and purée until smooth.
- Reduce till required consistency and return beef to sauce.
- Season to taste.
- Place stew into moulds or bowls.
- Cool then top with potato.
- Bake till potato golden at 200°C